Friday, August 26, 2005

There's a first time for everything

Tonight, I will venture into a realm I have never set foot in. I will dare to pick door number three. I will slay the dragon, save the princess and enforce world peace!!! TONIGHT - I WILL BABYSIT!!!!!

Crickets, right? Yeah, it's true. I've never babysat in my life. Sure, I've been a camp counselor. I've been part of taking care of 500+ screaming inner-city Chicago kids for two weeks at a time, but never have I been hand picked (singled out, chosen above those who take showers everyday, etc.) to take care of someone's most precious cargo. Maybe the more accurate is I've never been trusted to. And honestly, I'm ok with that. Babies are weird. They smell funny and prevent me from getting a full night's (9+ hours) sleep.

But this little guy is different. First of all, he's potty trained. He just started kindergarten and is without doubt "Spidey Man's" biggest fan. I met him at the office (he belongs to the Mac Attack who lives in the office next to me.) It was perfect. I threw a paper wad at him, he threw 12 back at me. He drew me as a super hero, I traced his body on butcher paper. Sounds like the beginning of a romance novel, doesn't it? Too bad he's only 5 (and a half, he corrects me.)

Well tonight we're "hanging out." "Spidey's biggest fan" is by far too cool to be babysat. I'm really looking forward to it. Plans include grabbing some McDonald's (we already share favorite foods,) walking dogs and as long as mom doesn't find out making gargantuan sundaes and coloring over candlelight. I also have a secret plot to make him fall in love with Lemony Snicket. (I have "The Bad Beginning" in my car. It would thrill me to make a kid love those books as much as I do...and then I could read them again...to him!)

I'm thrilled. Just thrilled. Maybe after it's over I'll be singing a different song, but right now, I can't wait for my two cheeseburger extra value meal (supersized - this is a special occasion) and to see life through the eyes of a kindergartner again.

So to all my friends stuck with bar hopping and going out on dates with supermodels, I say to you, "Top this."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home