Friday, January 27, 2006

The last liberal safe house I didn’t know about

I work on a project at my agency that I find less and less palatable every day. They became even less palatable when they told me about five working days ago that I needed to have a statewide student rally planned in seven working days.

So even though I wasn’t very happy with their micro-short notice, I, wanting to keep my job, kicked my ass in gear. Not to brag, but I’ve got one planned (shit yeah, Bitches!!!!!!!!)

The college student that I’m working with, while we would probably never meet otherwise, is very useful in helping me keep my job. She’s very connected to her school and her 300+ like-minded compadres. So the rally’s on! As long as five of them show up, I’m pleased. There are at least that many people at my office that are still young enough I could use as filler. Hell, call it a mob!

So I was talking to Ms. Connected this afternoon and we were discussing how to get the word out to more students that may not hear about this otherwise. Trying to get the juices mingling, I started throwing out what seemed to me obvious ideas about where to post flyers for an event – their university center, campus dorm/apartment buildings, the coffee shops like (my beloved) Bongo Java.

Ms. Connected interrupts, “Whoa! What? We’ll get chased out of there! That’s a total liberal fortress!”

What??!!! I mean I love that place and always feel comfy there, but never in my times enjoying a talk with the nun bun or scoring some free wi-fi over my frothy latte did I think I was surrounded by a bunch of tree huggin’, pot smokin’, greenpeace lovin’ liberals!

I had to start coughing to cover up my savage laughter. I some how managed to get out that “Wow, I didn’t think of that.” And “Well, talk to you tomorrow afternoon – we’ll sort out details then.”

Truth is, I never would have thought that Bongo Java was a liberal stronghold, and quite frankly, I still don’t. Maybe Ms. Connected has never experienced the luxurious latte they whip up or has plenty of money to buy internet and never has marveled in the glory of free wi-fi. Regardless, I am convinced that at anytime, you will find a good ole boy, Bush lovin’ Republican suckin’ down his espresso right there in the mix of it.

I mean really, guys. I know the issue of partisanship is getting way out of hand on the Hill, but when did our ultra-caffeinated café’s become a right or left establishment? Do conservatives not need caffeine to survive? Is there some new robo-Republican I hadn’t heard about? (I mean, I had my hypotheses, but really??!!!)

Well I guess if it has to be that way, I’m glad I’m the one with the cup of coffee.

...but really, y'all.

1 Comments:

Blogger Exador said...

Considering how polarized politics has become, maybe tossing caffeine-jacked opponents into the same room isn't such a good idea.

You've given me an idea for a new business;

Talking Turkey!

It'll be a hotbed of political debate, but we'll only serve tryptophan-laden turkey and your choice of warm milk or SleepTime tea.

All the issues of the day will be worked out, since nobody will have the energy to be too passionate about anything.

Brilliant!

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home