Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Adventures in Motherhood



I have a new-found respect for a couple things:

A. Mothers (and fathers with motherlike qualities)
B. Ice packs

These are the only known forces in the world that can solve most any problem.

For those of you who did not notice my sudden exit from existence, I've been babysitting for the past three days. My mission was to take care of a sixth grade girl and her two brothers, third and fourth grades respectively.

Remember a few weeks ago when I had my first babysitting experience ever? Well, apparantly news travels fast when your kid likes the sitter, and I went into my three day stay with little more qualification than George W. Bush had when he became President of the United States of America.

I am happy to report, the children are still alive, we came in under budget for eating expenses and besides one close call of the youngest getting up five minutes before the bus came, there were relatively few skirmishes and peace was maintainted between sitter and sitees.

Moral of the story, vote for me in 2008.

The true lesson learned, vote for a mom.

The past couple days have been a complete zoo at work. We all know my absolute need for down time to decompress so I don't grind my teeth to nubs, yet that time was non-existent. It was straight home to a pick-up football game or flirting with the sixth grade girls.

Being around youth is exhausting. Every minute it's something different: How should I respond when they let a dirty word slip? Is it fair that the little brother beats up on his big brother constantly, but when the bigger one finally fights back the little one cries? Is it ok to let the girls make a call to their "boyfriend?" The answers to all of these questions is: Compromise.

If I took any pride in the past few days it would be from grilling out a tasty hot dog meal (charcoal grill, no less) and solving most every problem with compromise.

"Hey, hotstuff, are you going to clean your pop tart mess up for me."
"I don't want to."
"So no playstation tonight?"
"I'll get the dustpan."

---

"We really want to watch the end of this movie." (Secret, I really did too, and didn't feel right not letting them see the emotional ending.)
"It ends past your bedtime."
(and the classic...) "Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease."
(enter de ja vu)
"Alright, but you have to promise me you'll get up when I ask you to in the morning, no complaints."
"OK!"
(note: the next morning is when youngest brother refused to get up...sigh.)

---

"Can I watch TV in my room until bedtime?"
"Absolutely."
(E enters bedroom, bedtime - TV still on)
"Off, sweetheart."
"But I can't sleep without it."
"Well, I'm across the hall and can't sleep with it. I guarantee I'm grouchier than you in the morning without sleep."
"But..."
"...sorry, lady; no buts."

Oh yeah!!!!!! I've always wanted to do that!!!!

---

Regardless, to all you moms out there that deep down I've been secretly mean towards in my mind when you leave work early (or come in late:) Kudos to you. Being a working mom is a bitch - but a rewarding one at that.

Last night, the youngest wanted to read with me and the oldest boy wanted me to help him with his homework. We all ate dinner together and they hung on my every silly story and perspective. For some reason, my explanations made sense, and they wanted their friends to meet me. I was cool and "cute" (says the eldest sister.) And while only the real Mom can cure all the blues, we got through a few minor bumps and bruises with ice packs and one-liner jokes.

It was a rewarding experience and thankfully a paying gig. While I would happily do it again, I won't admit that for at least two weeks...

I am stoked to go home to my Mumbles tonight and worry about such commonplace things as, "should I take a shower tonight or on Saturday?" I am glad to have my ability to take off at a moment's notice back, and I am thrilled to not worry about dropping the f-bomb in front of virgin ears.

I am in awe of moms and dads and realize I am no where near ready to be one or marry one. I am equally thankful that I had such a great pair growing up.

And most importantly, I'm excited I've finally been able to use some of their old and "unfair" lines on some other helpless child...

Mwa ha ha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home