Friday, October 03, 2008

Mister Dog

The Tall One and I are going to visit his family in East Tennessee this weekend. I am particularly excited because about 30 minutes from his house, the National Storytelling Festival will be happening in Jonesboro, Tenn.

I've never been to the storytelling festival before, but I can only imagine how wonderful it will be. I mean, really. There's not much better in the world than being read to - especially at bedtime. Maybe I can convince someone at this festival to read one of my favorite bedtime books aloud - Mister Dog.




If you haven't read this book, you should. Regardless of how old you are. It's about Crispin's Crispian - the dog who belongs to himself. Crispin takes himself for walks, smokes a pipe and romps in a field with cats and bunnies. Bliss. And now that I think of it, this book may have a lot to do with my ferociously independent nature...and decorating style. His house rocks!


The boy who belongs to himself is in this picture. Crispin makes friends with him and invites the boy to come live with him. They share their foods for a soup - a bright green vegetable and lots of meat. Clean up the house together. And most importantly, at the end of the book, my favorite part:
"And then what did he (Crispin's Crispian) do? Then he curled up in a warm little heap and went to sleep. And he dreamed his own dreams.That is what the dog who belonged to himself did.
"And then what did the boy who belonged to himself do?The boy who belonged to himself curled up in a warm little heap and went to sleep. And he dreamed his own dreams.That is what the boy who belonged to himself did."
Which makes me think, maybe the story of Crispin's Crispian is a lot like the story of the Tall One and I. And that makes me quite happy - because like I said, this story is my favorite one of all.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray for Mr. Dog! Wasn't there another fiercely independant animal book that we loved so much. Was it a bear? Yes, the bear who belonged to himself. I liked that one too. I just like encouraging all animals to belong to themselves maybe.

The question is: If the book is about you and the Tall One's relationship then does that make you the boy?...Or the dog?

12:13 PM  
Blogger Joshua Hayes said...

so they both went to sleep by themselves, I'm not sure about this story, perhaps it's best to read the ending in context

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Sarah, I just didn't want to have a googly identity:)

I'm with Becca, which is you and which is B'gosh?

I LOVE reading your posts, I'm glad you're back to blogging. My vocabulary and writing spirit goes down the tubes when most times I'm talking about "baby daddy's" and who is "in jail for a minute"... you are my lifeline into another, more intellectual world. Keep writing! And send me a few new bras!

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So many clarifications to be made. Josh - it's literal. We both dream our own little dreams (and I like we allow each to have his own)...in our one big bed. :)

Boo - I think the characters could be interchangeable. But since my hair most resembles Crispin's I'll claim dog unless there are any objections.


E

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home