Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Old soul

It's not everyday someone comments on the age (or observed state) of your soul. Such a personal thing - it's like someone looks between your legs and says, "Interesting."

To him, it was a simple observation (and I'm glad not a beguiling critique.) I might have been able to grasp the meaning of it more precisely if it had not been two hours and 23 minutes past my bedtime (it was midnight, kids.) But maybe it was best to simply take it as it was in that moment.

So the question of the hour is, how do you have an old soul and not be so old? Mombo told me that the world views us as "too young" until age 25, we view ourselves as "definitely still young" until age 30, and you're "not old" until age 40. When does the average Earthling get an old soul? Am I an early bloomer in this guy's eyes? Does everyone necessarily get an "old soul" at some point? What the hell is an old soul anyways? (there goes my dictionary obsession again...)

I enjoy my airport expeditions and dog walks with the Songwriter - how my brain tingles and I breathe deeper when I'm around him. How he sings an improvised version of Carly Simon for me. He gives great hugs.

1 Comments:

Blogger twila said...

I have a friend who I think has an old soul. By that, I mean that she is uncommonly sensible and wise for her age. She is only 22, yet doesn't think she knows it all, has a serenity that usually only comes with age, and is very wise.

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home